Table of Contents
Monobook for Dokuwiki
Please note, this project page is maintained for legacy purposes only.
- Author: Terence J. Grant
- License: GNU GPL v2
- Last Update: 2008-07-30
- Donate: Your donations are appreciated!
It's not required, but please consider linking to this page or the main page from your site if you like this product.
Before downloading or using this product, make sure you understand and accept the terms of the license.
This is the last version, compatible with DokuWiki Release 2008-05-05:
- Last version: Version 2008-07-30 on GitHub
Personally I think Monobook makes DokuWiki the perfect Wiki software available by far.
There are some things you'll find in this template that you won't find in most other templates, and are inspired by Wikipedia and MediaWiki.
- Discussions are supported without requiring an additional plugin.
- User pages so you can have your own home page on your wiki.
- Cite this Article allows students, journalists, researchers, and the like to easily reference articles on your site.
- Permanent Link guarantees that articles you link to in emails are as you saw them that second.
- All non-page portions of the template can be edited just as if they were pages. How cool is that?
So with all of this, we get not only everything DokuWiki offers, but the best features of MediaWiki as well.
With that said, there's always room for improvement. If you're able to add any contributions to make Monobook for DokuWiki better, please let me know.
Install and Configure
Installation is simple, just unzip the file into the folder lib/tpl in your DokuWiki install, and set monobook as your template in the configuration manager.
- To enable User pages, create wiki:user:username and set username's permissions to read and edit it.
- To enable Discussion pages, set the discussion's namespace to only read and edit by all users. Then manually create the discussion page yourself. This solves the problem of people making random pages in the discussion namespace, as they'll only be able to edit the discussion.
- To enable the subscribe changes button, simply enable Enable page subscription support in your configuration settings.
All other configuration options are now located in the configuration manager, available from the admin page. Look in the configuration manager for "monobook", and you'll see the following:
All options are fairly self-explanatory; if not, you can experiment with them to see what they do.
The pages referred to above for navigation, site notice, copyright, can be edited just like a wiki page (provided you followed the installation instructions), but samples are not included by default, so a few samples are provided below.
Sample Navigation Page
* [[:start]] * [[http://mysite/wiki/doku.php?do=recent|Recent Changes]] * [[:wiki:dokuwiki|Help]] * [[:links]] * [[http://mysite/wiki/doku.php?do=index|Site map]]
Sample Site Notice Page
Welcome to my website!
Sample Copyright Page
Copyright 20X6, Stinkoman.
Notes on Toolbox
The same general rules apply to the toolbox portlet, with the exception that an alternate, more sophisticated toolbox is provided by default, although it is not an editable page.
The default toolbox contains the links below.
- What links here - Calls the same function as "backlinks" in DokuWiki.
- Upload file - Opens the same window as the upload popup.
- Special pages - In wikipedia, this refers to wiki-related pages, so this serves the same function.
- Printable version - Opens the current page with the printing stylesheets.
- Permanent link - Grabs a link to the current revision of a page.
- Cite this article - Gives end users a method to cite pages on your website for research papers and articles.
Some additional content that needs to be modified is in a folder called user within the monobook folder. You can edit or delete any of the files in user as you wish; they're all optional.
|favicon.ico||Web site icon in the address bar.|
|logo.png / logo.gif / logo.jpg||User logo at top left of page.|
|Monobook.css||A file that will adds (or overrides) wikipedia/Monobook.css.|
|Common.css||A file that will adds (or overrides) wikipedia/Common.css.|
There is also an optional "lang.css" file that goes into the same folder as language translations– this is in case you need special CSS for your language.
In general, if you are upgrading, make sure you do a force-refresh when you update the monobook for your website. You can do this in FireFox and Internet Explorer by holding shift-control-alt and clicking the refresh button.
Also note that there will be dramatic changes somewhat often, so check What's new to see what's changed between your older version and the current version.
November 24, 2015
- Restored page, added some notes regarding legacy
July 30, 2008
This is one of those "higher priority" updates, so I suggest you update if you're able to.
If you need to do a minimal update, just take "context.php" from the new archive and replace your current context.php file with it and you'll be set.
October 3, 2007
- Added es language, thanks to Fran García.
- Minor changes to main.php
July 20, 2007
- Fixed footnote mouseover display (thanks to Christian.)
- Fixed search preference item
May 23, 2007
- Added a few new options in configuration settings, thanks to Patrik Bornemann.
- Better print support, thanks to Tobias Eigen.
- Proper rtl support, thanks to Tobias Eigen for identifying that this wasn't being handled properly.
March 14, 2007
- Some minor fixes for the language files, thanks to Edmondas Girkantas.
March 11, 2007
- Two new languages, zh-cn and zh-tw; thanks to 郭長祐 for this.
February 15, 2007
- Style.ini updated
- Author setting now available for "Cite this Article" links.
- Updated installation instructions.
- Possibly other minor changes– don't recall.
January 3, 2007
- Italian language has been added
- Wikipedia-specific stylesheets have been added for the ten primary languages of Wikipedia: en, de, fr, pl, ja, nl, it, pt, sv, and es.
- What you'll notice is better support for your native language as well as a closer "look and feel" to Wikipedia.
Tabs look a little better:
And the "portlets" are customized as well.
I already predict folks will want a little more customizable look and feel; be assured I'll work on it for the next release.
December 2, 2006
- Monobook now uses the configuration manager to make things easier.
- user_pref.php and pref.php have been removed.
- More generalized options are available in the configuration manager.
- There was a typo in lang.php for each language… toobox → toolbox
- settings.php is now added to lang/en and needs localization for each language.
- Major revamp of this page to make installation easier.
November 18, 2006
- Search results are now highlighted.
November 3, 2006
- Fix upload page…
- Fix support for new "Media manager" (grumble)
- Add pt-br language
- Update nl language
- Credit Danilo Sato for br-pt
- Credit Eric Hameleers for nl
Note, for some reason in IE's display of the media manager, the [+] icons are not properly aligned with the text labels on the tree. I cannot figure out how to fix this. If you find a solution, please contact me or post on the project's discussion page.
October 22, 2006
- Some minor changes, and…
- Translators: Please add a lang.css (even if empty) to lang folders for new languages.
- Polish, German, Hungarian Language updates
- Credit to Marcin Hugo Kosiniski for pl, Volker Leonhardt for de, Peter Attila for hu
October 10, 2006
- Problems with search fixed
- German language update.
October 7, 2006
Dear Monobook for Dokuwiki users, please test the following:
- Probably compatible with IE 7?
- Three new customizable css files are available:
- /lang/(langauge code here)/lang.css – for instance /lang/de/lang.css
Again please test the above features as I am not able to.
- New features as follows:
- Upload file link works again, and now uses correct namespace
- AJAX Quicksearch is now working (and looks good)
- Recent Changes access key now works [ALT-R]
- Documentation typo fixed
- doku.php is no longer hard-coded, Monobook now uses DOKU_SCRIPT
- Go no longer searches, it tries the page based on an ID you put in there
- Search is still the default, though.
This takes care of all but two of the outstanding issues on the discussion page. The discussion page has been cleaned up as well. I trimmed it by 12 pages of mostly fixed bug reports.
September 3, 2006
- Moved the referrers script into its own plugin: Referrers for DokuWiki
- Lithuanian language updated, thanks to Edmondas Girkantas
August 23, 2006
- Removed "Display Wiki Page" from this project, it is now its own plugin, Display Wiki Page for DokuWiki.
August 20, 2006
- German language update (thanks to Volker Leonhardt)
- Removed google analytics code (Use Google Analytics for DokuWiki instead.)
August 19, 2006
- Hungarian language support
- Swedish language support
- French language update
- English language update
- other.php no longer included in distribution (see discussion page)
July 28, 2006
- The printing stylesheet has been updated– might be 100% complete?
- Now uses the wikipedia arrow for external links.
- Toolbox links now use rel="nofollow" to be more search engine friendly.
- Apparently the "my talk" link was pointing to an incorrect location if you didn't use ":wiki:talk" as your default; so this is fixed.
June 24, 2006
- Multitemplate for Dokuwiki support
June 23, 2006
- There are some style changes so make sure to do a force refresh.
- All accesskeys, except for R and X, should now be working.
- Some string functions were moved to string_fn.php
- Disclosure triangles available for "Site map"/"Index" links.
- There is now a default "favorites icon" in the "user" folder.
- There are some default values to thwart referrer spam (fake referrers) but it needs a little more work to make it general.
- Lithuanian(???) language support thanks to Edmondas Girkantas
That's it for now.
May 19, 2006
- Two small bugs officially fixed:
May 12, 2006
- Printable Version link now works
- Cite this Article link now works
- Permanent Link now works (Thanks to Andi.)
- Upload file and Image details page now use template, although they may look a little crude
- de language files (Thanks to Dirk Blasius.)
- nl language files (Thanks to Eric Hameleers.)
- New "Driven by DokuWiki" and "Monobook for DokuWiki" buttons (Thanks to Derek Scott.)
- The following links have been removed permanently since its unlikely they will be implemented:
- Move tab
- My contributions
- My watchlist
- body_onload has been removed
- body_ondblclick has been removed
- move has been removed
- discussion-location has been added
May 2, 2006
- 'sitenotice' is now a wiki page location instead of just text
- 'copyright' is now a wiki page location instead of just text
- preferences are now editable through local_pref.php
- navigation display problems fixed
- Language support is now in; current languages are English and French.
- Please read the discussion page before sending in a new language, thanks!
- My talk link now active (thanks to Pasha)
- Referrer script works a little better and now will alert you if you've set up permissions on ":wiki:referrers" wrong. (That is, if you choose to use it.)
Special thanks again to Etienne Gauthier for most of the changes this week's release.
April 21, 2006
- Three new options for navigation and toolbar link styles; including wiki_page, the best one! Thanks to Etienne Gauthier for these changes!
- Discussion tab can be turned on/off
- Move tab can be turned on/off
- Google Analytics support now included
- Referrer script is included for this release
- php.php has been removed (see discussion)
- All tabs are available for all special pages
April 7, 2006
- Fixed bugs in IE
- Links for navigation, toolbox can now be "wiki" links
- Button links are now red if the page does not exist
- All special pages now have the "edit" option
April 1, 2006
- The project has been completely reworked from the bottom up.
- Although the configuration method has changed, it should be be much easier to use.
- Tab context should be 100% correct in "article mode" (as opposed to "special page" mode.)
- Wikipedia "blue pages" have been implemented for:
- The wiki namespace
- Discussion pages
- User pages
- Search results
- Some behavior has changed; if anything seems completely out of place, please discuss it on the discussion page.
- Please let me know if there are any old issues that have resurfaced by posting to the discussion page, thanks.
March 30, 2006
- Discussion tab is now in "missing red" when there is no discussion page. Thanks to Eric H. for introducing a better link function. Note that since a change was made to main.css, you will probably need to do a strong-refresh by holding control-shift-alt and clicking the refresh button before changes will be noticeable.
March 26, 2006
- Rich J. sent in some changes for better XHTML compliance. Here's something to remember for the future:
- Ensure single tags are <xml/> style
- Apparently you're supposed to use & instead of & in URLs now.
March 25, 2006
- Watch/Unwatch tab is enabled if you enable subscription support now, thanks to Eric H.
March 24, 2006
- Important note: While this project is in development, all links will be in English language only.
- Discussion is implemented(see Install notes.)
- Breadcrumbs will appear at the top if you enable that
- You are here will appear at the bottom if you enable that
- Eric H. sent in some really good changes for the buttons at the top to keep them fairly consistent with the "state" of the page; proper highlighting for page buttons and backlinks.
- I've also re-added some previous code to hide the "show page" button when its not needed.
- The following toolbox links:
- What links here
- Upload file ← done, but the page needs template
- Special pages
- Some placeholders on the actions toolbar:
- Discussion (I think there's a plugin for this?)
- Move (I've read talk that someone was working on this recently.)
- Watch (I think this is already implemented, I just need to figure out where it is in DW.)
- Some new things on the personal toolbar:
- Your username now links to wiki:users:username
- Admin has been moved to the toolbar
- My preferences links to update profile
- Some placeholders for the personal toolbar:
- my talk ← is this possible?
- my watchlist ← is this possible?
- my contributions ← is this possible?
March 18, 2006
- Monobook now conforms better to the new DokuWiki CSS namespace… this improves rendering in plugins and rendering in general (Found by Eric H.)
- User logo is now easier to customize
March 14, 2006
The following issues have been fixed:
- Missing file(the bullet) for the table of contents
- Breadcrumbs are available and will be above article if enabled
- Upload file link on toolbox works
- Link color for missing articles
- Search index now gets properly updated(thanks to Kevin)
- Footnotes styles fixed
- Smiley picker and character picker styles now doku-wiki like
- Update profile link now available at top right when logged in
- Username displayed at top right
March 5, 2006
- New version should work with new DokuWiki 2006-03-05.
March 1, 2006
(First two issues listed were found by Christian G., fixed by myself.)
- Search works for DokuWiki users not using rewrite engine.
- Edit this page works for DokuWiki users not using rewrite engine.
- Editing old revisions works again
Also the file includes a README and LICENSE file.
February 28, 2006
- Should be able to use this style within a "frames required" website. (Thanks to Péter A.)
February 27, 2006
- Styles for spell checking have been fixed.